Subject: Re: 'less' can not find dll
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 14:55:16 -0800

MEA-MikeFriedrichs wrote:

> This is my error that Win2k reports when I try to use 'less'.
> 
> Event Type:     Information
> Event Source:   Application Popup
> Event Category: None
> Event ID:       26
> Date:           2/26/2004
> Time:           11:16:30 AM
> User:           N/A
> Computer:       MEA2
> Description:
> Application popup: less.exe - Unable To Locate DLL : The dynamic link
> library cygpcre-0.dll could not be found in the specified path
> f:\cygwin\bin;.;C:\WINNT\system32;C:\WINNT\system;C:\WINNT;f:\cygwin\usr\local\bin;f:\cygwin\bin;f:\cygwin\bin;f:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin;c:\WINNT\system32;c:\WINNT;c:\WINNT\System32\Wbem;c:\Program
> Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\;f:\win2k\bin\matlab\bin\win32.

I don't see why this thread has ballooned into such an ordeal.  Run
setup.exe.  Install the "libpcre0" package, which is a library on which
'less' depends.  That's all that is required, and that's what the output
of the "Package search" page is telling you.  The other posters were
trying to point you in a direction so that you could figure that out for
yourself so you wouldn't have to ask next time.  "Teach a man to fish"
and all that.

As far as setup.exe is concerned, it should have installed this package
for you.  The setup.hint for the 'less' package includes the line:

requires: cygwin termcap libpcre0

Which means that if you select 'less' then setup.exe should also select
'libpcre0' and 'termcap', unless you override it.  Can someone verify
that this works, please?

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/