Subject: Re: 1.5.7: Problems with german umlauts in bash/rxvt command line
From: Alejandro Lopez-Valencia <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 08:42:57 -0500

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 12:35:23 +0100, Thorsten Kampe wrote in
<[email-masked]>:

> although typing non-ascii characters in a
>shell doesn't make sense. The only use is showing files with ls or d -
>which is not a shell thing.

Really?

Say, you use cygwin to do text processing (I do, with the help of a
bleeding edge groff), and in a whim you decide to write poetry to your
girlfirend. Being a German speaker, you type, e.g.,
"Lieder_für_meine_geliebte.tr". 

Did you or did you not need to type high-bit charecters in your shell?
(Don't say you type them from within your editor, that's cheating).

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/