Subject: Re: Cron Running As UID 400
From: "Winch Jr., Wayne S" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 18:18:48 -0500

Pierre,

Windows Task Manager reports the user as SYSTEM for all cygrunsrv
processes and their children (cron, inetd, etc.).  Interestingly enough,
I regenerated the /etc/passwd entry for my user login on my Windows XP
Pro box at work and the UID field changed from what it was before (after
I sent the initial problem email to the Cygwin list).  Then, I rebooted
and all Cygwin related services (cygrunsrvs) were now identified as
unknown user 400 in ps -ef.  As one would then expect, now I do not have
any capabilities associated with these services, including ftp, telnet,
and IPC.

My /etc/passwd file has the SYSTEM, Administrators and my personal
account listed as:

SYSTEM:*:18:544:,S-1-5-18::
Administrators:*:544:544:,S-1-5-32-544::
winwa02:unused_by_nt/2000/xp:70656:10513:Winch Jr., Wayne
S,U-TANT-A01\winwa02,S-1-5-21-2129867641-919698055-327642922-60656:/home
/winwa02:/bin/bash

My company's domain is TANT-A01 and my username is winwa02.

Also, if I type passwd, then I get the following response:

$ passwd
passwd: unknown user winwa02

As you can see, my login entry is in /etc/passwd, but I seem to be
logged in as a different user, even though id reports:

$ id
uid=70656(winwa02) gid=10513(Domain Users)
groups=544(Administrators),545(Users),143344(442-SC-CRO-R),106908(98-Sit
e),10513(Domain Users),162415(NASiteGroups),169978(North American Sites)

Regards,

Wayne

>Wayne,
>
>The only reason why a Cygwin process runs with uid 400
>is that its SID was not found in /etc/passwd when first
>starting from Windows (you can observe that by temporarily
>renaming /etc/passwd and starting a fresh Cygwin process).
>It's stange that this happens only for one cygrunsrv process
>
>Please use the Windows Task Manager ("Processes" tab) and
>report the User of the strange cygrunsrv, according to Windows.
> 
>Pierre

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/