Subject: Re: python and cygwin
From: Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 10:30:30 -0800

On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 05:45:33PM -0800, Totte Karlsson <[email-masked]> wrote:
> When I open up a "cygwin-bash" on windows, I just thought that I could use
> my already installed "win-32" python. I realize now that you can't and I
> think that creates problems. As a programmer I don't like do have to
> duplicate things. I only want one "repository".

You can use your already innstalled python.  You just may need to do a
little work to make sure paths are correctly translated.  I'm not sure
exactly what you were doing to feed python a /cygdrive... path; you may
just need to replace the #! line in your script to point to a wrapper
that does a cygpath -w translation on its first argument.

Does anyone know if there is any particular reason that PATH translation
ends up with /cygdrive/x/... rather than x:/...?

> It sounds as if you are talking about cygwin as an operating system, on
> which you can run cygwin applications.

That's a good way to think of it.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/