Subject: Re: vi and cygwin
From: Alejandro Lopez-Valencia <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 05:04:47 -0500

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 15:20:00 -0800, Brian Dessent wrote in
<[email-masked]>:

>Totte Karlsson wrote:
>> 
>> my question was if vi is available under cygwin. I know about vim and about
>> it's compatible option. Just curious if there is a "pure" vi available and
>> it seems not to be...
>
>Then the answer is no.  What you see with setup.exe is what you get. 
>(WYSWSIWYG?)  Someone out there at some point in time might have ported
>"pure" vi to compile with Cygwin but if so it's not an official package
>and therefore you'd have to find/ask that person about it, not this
>list.

Wrong. The answer is yes. Go to http://ex-vi.berlios.de/, download a
copy of BSD licensed Unix 7 ex sourcecode, do a couple of trivial
modifications and you are in business.

Now, why is not ITP'ed by yours truly? Because the maintainer doesn't
want it ported to Windows, that's why. I may find he is a pompous
cuadruped arse when it comes to his people skills, but I do agree with
95% of the reasons he has not to want such port; so, you are on your
own, unless someone else with less sensitivity steps in and packages
it..

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/