Subject: Re: Assembler
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 10:28:51 -0800

Krzysztof Duleba wrote:

> A translator that changes int 0x80 to function calls? It doesn't seem too
> difficult, but I probably miss something.

So write a perl script.  The list of syscalls is defined in the Linux
kernel in unistd.h:
<http://linux.bkbits.net:8080/linux-2.4/anno/include/asm-i386/[email-masked]>

You may also want to read these pages:
<http://www.lxhp.in-berlin.de/lhpsyscal.html>

> The way I think is: if in Linux it is possible to translate function calls
> to int 0x80, one could build a funcion call -> int 0x80 dictionary. If the
> dictionary is complete (or at least big enough), having a int 0x80-like
> system call one can look up the corresponding funcion call.

I don't know what you're trying to do here but it sounds like it's not
going to work.  If you're trying to compile code written in assember
then you should have the source with symbolic calls and not raw
syscalls, otherwise the person writing the code was an idiot.  If you're
trying to decompile and port some random linux binary to run under
Cygwin, then I must conclude that you're nuts.

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/