Subject: Re: Plausibility of sendmail?
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 22:25:15 -0800

Joaquin wrote:

> > But Exim provides a sendmail-compatible interface, and a
> > symlink to /usr/sbin/sendmail.  Anything that expects to call
> > sendmail from the command line should work fine with Exim,
> > including all those perl modules.  Even if you are doing
> > something obscure that absolutely requires sendmail, then you
> > should still be able to develop and test the other 99% of the
> > app on your laptop with Exim, without any actual sendmail.
> 
> That is great.  I didn't know that.  This will help.
> 
> Also, out of curiosity are the mails archived the same way as well?

Are you referring to local delivery?  Exim by default delivers to
standard 'mbox' files in /var/spool for local users, just like
sendmail.  However, it could be configured for other formats like
Maildir (with a managed mount), or processed with procmail, forwarded,
piped, etc.  Basically all the standard unix mail things are supported.

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/