Subject: Re: Problem rolling back cygwin from 1.5.7.1 to 1.5.5.1
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 08:27:40 -0800

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> >       Since I've been having so much trouble with many different versions
> >       of emacs, I decided to try to go back to cygwin 1.5.5.1 using setup.exe.
> >It installs without any complaints and tells me to reboot before using.
> > So after rebooting, I keep getting an error message popping up when I
> >try to use bash or calling commands from perl:
> >
> >(title) Sh.exe: Entry Point Not Found
> >(body) The procedure entry point _fcntl64 could not be located in the
> >dynamically linked library cygwin1.dll.
> >
> >       Upgrading back to 1.5.7.1 solves this problem.  Has this been seen
> >before?  Is it possible to successfully downgrade cygwin back to
> >1.5.5.1? (Has anyone been having problems with emacs and 1.5.5.1?)
> 
> "I am having a hard time in France, so I have decided to move back to
> the US.  However, when I speak French to people in the US, I normally
> get a response of 'Huh?  I don't speak French.'
> 
> How do I solve this problem?"

To the original poster, in case you couldn't make any sense of that, the
english translation is: Current versions of Cygwin1.dll are
backwards-compatible but older versions of Cygwin1.dll are not
forwards-compatible, nor would it be possible for them to be.

Running older versions of the DLL is not supported, as you would have to
downgrade every other package on your system to a state that would
maintain binary compatibility.  It would be theoretically possible, of
course, but you'd have to work out which versions of the DLL each
package was compiled against and then hunt down enough previous versions
of all those packages to satisfy those dependencies.

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/