Subject: Re: Plausibility of sendmail?
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 23:55:36 -0800

Joaquin wrote:

> Lastly, my professor REQUIRED us to use sendmail for our Perl
> CGI/DBI/mail projects.  There was no choice in the matter.  The code
> would be deployed on the college system, which is a Linux system.  My
> development machine is a small tiny VIAO laptop running Windows XP.  I
> would prefer to develop the whole application on my system, at a
> relaxing coffee shop, and sendmail will allow me to do that.  Otherwise,
> I am forced to use the horribly maintained lab system.

But Exim provides a sendmail-compatible interface, and a symlink to
/usr/sbin/sendmail.  Anything that expects to call sendmail from the
command line should work fine with Exim, including all those perl
modules.  Even if you are doing something obscure that absolutely
requires sendmail, then you should still be able to develop and test the
other 99% of the app on your laptop with Exim, without any actual
sendmail.

The notion of requiring a specific MTA boggles my mind.  Sure, require a
sendmail-compatible MTA, fine, but needing a genuine sendmail?

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/