Subject: Re: Plausibility of sendmail?
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: "'Cygwin List'" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2004 22:10:44 -0800

Joaquin wrote:
> 
> I check the FAQ and I couldn't find any reference to this.  I noticed
> that exim is there, kewl!, but what about sendmail?  Was there any work
> on porting this?
> 
> BTW, I noticed that SFU3.5 seems to have a version of sendmail.

Maybe you could elaborate a little on why you want sendmail.  To my
knowledge there has been no work done to even begin considering
packaging sendmail for Cygwin, at least not officially (i.e. supported
by this mailing list, cygwin.com, and the setup.exe program.)  Someone,
somewhere might have done it and succeeded, but you're at the mercy of
Google in that case.  Part of me really wants to ask why in god's name
you'd want to inflict the utter crapulence of sendmail onto an otherwise
innocent system, but that's really just being snide.

If your intent is to use Windows+Cygwin+sendmail as a production mail
server, then you would be much better served (no pun intended) running
it on a native posix OS like Linux or FreeBSD, as there is a significant
performance and security impact of emulating Posix under Windows.

If you're just after 'sendmail compatibility' then both ssmtp and exim
provide symbolic links to /usr/sbin/sendmail.  So any script or other
type of app that wants to just send out email by invoking the sendmail
command should work fine.

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/