Subject: XEmacs 21.4.14 appears to prevent W32 processes from exiting
From: Andre Srinivasan <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2004 16:00:12 -0800

: $ uname -rv
1.5.7(0.109/3/2) 2004-01-30 19:32

I noticed when I am running the Cygwin packaged version of XEmacs,
programs like Opera, IE, etc never quite exit when I quit them
(i.e. all windows close but process is still show in task manager); I
need to go into the task manager to explicitly kill them.  If I stop
XEmacs, this does not happen.

When I first saw the issue with Opera, I thought I had corrupted my
Opera installation so I invoked the installer from IE.  After
re-installation, Opera continued to not exit and I noticed that IE as
well as the Opera installer were similarly still in the task manager.
I exited XEmacs, killed the processes, and then restarted Opera and
exited from the program.  There was no sign of the process in the task
manager.  I repeated a couple of times with and without XEmacs running
and found I could reliably recreate the scenario.  

I have reverted back to a slightly older version of XEmacs that I
built a while back and this does not appear to have the issue.  Please
note that I always use XEmacs in XWindows mode.

                                                                -andre.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/