Subject: Startup error in new xemacs distribution within cygwin distribution
From: "L. Larrabee Strow" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 17:28:32 -0500

I just installed all the new xemacs packages within the cygwin
distribution.  I also updated my cygwin to DLL 1.5.7-1 release.

When I try to start xemacs I get the following

> xemacs

WARNING:
Couldn't find an obvious default for the root of the XEmacs hierarchy.

Then xemacs hangs for a minute or so and then the bash prompt returns.

I then realized that xemacs wanted an xserver, when I started one up,
it started, with the same warning.  The documentation on this mailing
list indicated that xemacs wouldn't need or use X if the server wasn't
running.   Seems as though packages can be found if running under X.

Larrabee

-- 
L. Larrabee Strow                            E-mail: [email-masked]
Department of Physics                        FAX   : (410) 455-1072
University of Maryland Baltimore County      Phone : (410) 455-2528 
1000 Hilltop Circle                          Office: Physics 429
Baltimore, MD 21250                  

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/