Subject: Re: Setup: Can Using URL for package installs be turn off?
From: Robert Collins <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Joaquin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 08:29:35 +1100

On Mon, 2004-02-02 at 07:36, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Feb 2004, Joaquin wrote:
> 
> > Is there a way to shut off using the actual URL as the directory name?
> > This is really annoying, and I cannot burn my cygwin install directory
> > onto ISO CDs with such a long directory name. :-(
> 
> This is a PTC (<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PTC>) situation.  I can
> imagine using an ASCII-encoded hash for the directory name with a mapping
> stored in a separate file, but, since this problem doesn't affect me, I'm
> not very motivated to code up a solution.

No thanks. What we've got is simple. It's directly visible to the user
which mirror each subdir belongs to. And its backwards compatible, we
support reading (but not creating) packages and lists from a single
rooted directory.

> > I remember before long ago that that setup did not do this, and then at
> > one point this changed over to stamping the install directory with the
> > URL. :-(
> 
> AFAIR, setup has done this for a while (at least a year or so).  If I
> understand correctly, this behavior (one directory per mirror) is unlikely
> to change in the future, and the only thing you can affect is the naming
> scheme for those directories.  Robert Collins (the primary setup
> maintainer) will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong.

It won't change, and neither will the naming scheme, unless it preserves
the aspects I listed above.

Joaquin simply needs to rename the encoded directory as he copies it to
the cd-rom - and then tell setup to 'install from local dir' and give
that dir on the cdrom as the local dir.

Rob

-- 
GPG key available at: <http://www.robertcollins.net/keys.txt>.