Subject: RE: C COM objects?
From: "Michael D. Crawford" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 23:10:58 -0500

> Hi Michael, I remembered your sig from a Slashdot article :)

How nice!

> If COM and OLE are similar beasties,

OLE is built on top of COM.  Historically, Microsoft came up with OLE to do 
component GUI stuff, but had to find a way for programs to use components from 
other programs, and COM is the solution they found.  I don't think OLE is 
considered all that important anymore, but COM has found uses quite far beyond 
its inventors' original purposes.

> It seems most of the OLE/COM stuff should work more or less fine in Cygwin with
> a bit of tweaking.

I'll give ZooLib another try.  If I can build ZooLib with Cygwin, that will mean 
that ZooLib can be built with gcc on all the platforms that ZooLib supports (Mac 
OS, Windows, Linux and BeOS).  I think that would encourage its acceptance as a 
framework for writing open source software, if one isn't required to use an 
expensive compiler to build Windows software with it.

Mike
-- 
Michael D. Crawford
GoingWare Inc. - Expert Software Development and Consulting
http://www.goingware.com
[email-masked]

   Tilting at Windmills for a Better Tomorrow.

     "I give you this one rule of conduct. Do what you will, but speak
      out always. Be shunned, be hated, be ridiculed, be scared,
      be in doubt, but don't be gagged."
      -- John J. Chapman, "Make a Bonfire of Your Reputations"
         http://www.goingware.com/reputation/

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/