Subject: Re: gdb problem
From: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 15:07:23 -0500

On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 02:38:28PM +0100, RS wrote:
>>Don't use CYGWIN=tty when debugging.  It confuses the debugee.
>
>First of all thank you, it really helps when I start a shell using
>"cygwin\cygwin.bat".

Ok.  So, if you want to do this, then you will observe the behavior
that you mentioned.

>But I do not understand why it helps, because gdb is a unix program and
>I thought that
>problems with tty option may occur with Windows programs.
>Another point is that I commonly use
>"cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\startxwin.bat" to start a shell.
>Here no CYGWIN environment variable is defined. Nevertheless I have the
>problem with
>gdb in this case.

Same problem.  gdb starts the debugee in a fashion that breaks the
understanding that "this pipe that is attached to stdin/stdout/stderr is
actually a tty/pty".  So, cygwin (or MSVCRT) assumes that you are attached
to a pipe and buffers input/output accordingly.

It's possible to modify gdb to work around this but that isn't going to
help you in the short term and I have no plans on doing this in the
short to medium term.

cgf

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/