Subject: Re: ssh configuration that is pulling my hair out!
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: Cygwin List <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 00:03:08 -0800

Larry Hall wrote:

> Precisely.  The idea of adding to the  FAQ for something that should be
> obvious goes against my grain but I'm OK with the notion if doing so
> addresses a problem.  But, at least to me, this one seems way off to one
> end of "obviousness" so I have to question the "obvious" solution too.
> Maybe there's a better solution because the problem isn't what we think
> it is.

While I understand that Cygwin cannot be responsible for what third
parties say about its configuration, it shouldn't be entirely mysterious
why a lot of people see that site first, and then ask here.  If you
google for "cygwin sshd configuration" the first four hits are on
erdelynet.com.  I don't think it's that outrageous that someone would
google first, try the instructions presented in the results, and then
seek out the official mailing list when that doesn't work.  Or, in other
words, "Cygwin is cygwin, why should it matter where I saw the
instructions?"  I don't think it would be wasteful to add a simple FAQ
entry along the lines of "Q: I'm having problems with my sshd
configuration, can you help?  A: Yes, please read
/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/sshd.README.  Only those instructions are
supported on the mailing list, if you still need help."

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/