Subject: Re: Cygwin, win98, SA, Perl IO::Socket (Insecure dependency)
From: "Gerrit P. Haase" <[email-masked]>
To: Bryan Hoover <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Gerrit @ cygwin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 10:37:41 +0100

Hallo Bryan,

have you already asked the SpamAssasin developers?  Have they any
idea?  At least they should know best why it behaves different for
similar headers with another domain.

Gerrit

Am Sonntag, 25. Januar 2004 um 05:46 schriebst du:

> Greetings,

> Not sure where to go for help with this.  I've googled, and searched
> newsgroups relative to Cygwin, Perl, and of course, SpamAssassin, to no
> avail, though I know it's quite possible this problem's aready been
> touched on...

> Running SpamAssassin 2.63, on Cygwin (latest dll (and previous), version
> 1.5.6-1), with win98, Perl 5.8.2, Net::DNS .45, I'm getting:

> Failed to run NO_DNS_FOR_FROM SpamAssassin test, skipping:
>         (Insecure dependency in connect while running with -T switch at
> /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.2/cygwin-thread-multi-64int/IO/Socket.pm line 114.
> )

> Note, this is not the Razor related problem.  I'm not running Razor on
> the above system.

> The strange thing is, this error is only triggered with certain Reply-To
> or From header values in the email on which I run SpamAssassin (SA uses
> one or the other, in that order).  For instance, if change the input
> email so that the From, or Reply-to header value is, say [email-masked],
> all goes well.  

> The error is triggered on domain, customoffers.com, and this, on my
> system as described above, is faithfully reproducible.

> Though the Net::DNS demos, mx, perldig, both return good results -- 24
> mx records, just as that returned when I run SA with the same email
> message on my ISP's freeBSD server.

> I've tried playing with SA's input to Net::DNS::mx -- the call
> originates in SA's EvalTests.pm, in sub check_for_from_dns:

> my @mx = Net::DNS::mx($self->{res}, $from);

> -- untainting $from, though it was already assigned the $1 resulting
> from a regular expression used to remove the email address before, and
> including the @ symbol -- to get customoffers.com.

> I also changed EvalTests' parameters to mx, passing in string literals,
> and that's about where I discovered that it didn't have any problems
> with other addresses -- just the customoffers.com address.  The error
> was returned regardless of whether customoffers.com was a literal, and
> even if I removed the $self->(res) resolver parameter entirely -- which
> mx will compensate for by simply creating a resolver of its own.

> I've also tried different versions of SA 2.60, 2.61, with the same
> results.

> SA has no problem with this email on freeBSD, and mx, and perldig on
> Cygwin are Okay with it too.  So I'm having trouble pinning down the
> problem here.

> I must admit that I'm relatively new with regards to the internals, and
> such, of the programatic, system elements involved here.  That said, as
> near as I can tell, there appears to be a problem.  Any help much
> appreciated.

> I've attached the associated spam email, in case of interest.

> Bryan

-- 
=^..^=

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/