Subject: 'entrypoint __getreent missing' problem in the binary distribution files for Windows ! How to proceed, how to report the bug ?
From: Rolf Hemmerling <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 17:46:05 +0100

Hello !

'entrypoint __getreent missing' problem in the binary distribution files
for Windows ! How to proceed, how to report the bug to the authors &
builders of the binary distribution, so that WORKING packages are
offered for download, in the future ? ?

*** From my point of view, this bug exists "since months" and nobody
cares of it. This is absolutely horror and might cause a very-bad
reputation of open-source & freeware, as the binary distribution is a
"must" for rookie users. ****

I installed parts of the ***binary*** distribution of the Cygwin stuff,
with W2k,SP4.

Some of the binary compiled tools, like G++
(release/gcc/gcc-g++/gcc-g++-3.3.1-3.tar.bz2 ), when called in a DOS
box, refuse to work and abort with a special message in an extra window
( of Windows)

(german language on W2k)
'Der Prozedureinsprungpunkt "__getreent" wurde in der DLL "Cygwin1.dll"
nicht gefunden'.
'Der Prozedureinsprungpunkt "libintl_bindtextedomain" wurde in der DLL
"Cygmtl-2.dll" nicht gefunden'.

(translation)
'The entrypoint "__getreent" is missing in the DLL "Cygwin1.DLL"'.
'The entrypoint "libintl_bindtextedomain" is missing in the DLL
"Cygmtl-2.dll"'.

Same with the standard installation process with setup.exe: it fails,
with similar messages.

The ** entrypoint __getreent is missing  ** problem was discussed both
in this mailing list, and other mailing lists. Mostly it was by people
who did NOT run this binary distribution, but who were faced with the
bug when they compiled their own projects. Before compiling a project
(with windows), I need a working binard distribution !

Maybe the solution was a simple wrong -D definition when the binary
distribution was created ? Read this posting !

http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-01/msg01441.html
"The compile option "-D__linux__" is the cause.
There are some header files which use __linux__ in them.
But cygwin environment (that corresponds to __CYGWIN__) somewhat differs
from __linux__ one.  So using '__linux__' in cygwin has some bad effect
on those header files, I suppose."

Any suggestions, besides to recompile the whole stuff by myself ( too
much work for me, especially as I am shure that I must know special
tricks to (cross-) compile the whole stuff on Linux :-(. )

Sincerely
Rolf

-- 
       /   /    / Alone on the data highway...
     /        /   like on an allee in Hannover-Herrenhausen
   /    /   /     The Hemmerling (R) WEB site - Rolf Hemmerling,Germany
/    /   /       http://www.hemmerling.com/

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/