Subject: Re: cygwin/regex is non-POSIX
From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 16:35:37 -0500

> * Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes <[email-masked]> [2004-01-20 11:41:27 -0800]:
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 04:38:40PM -0500, Sam Steingold <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> >> Finally, a common extension appears to be the use or "?" after a
>> >> repetition specification to mean non-greedy matching, e.g.
>> >> "a+?" will match only the first "a" in "aaaa".
>> > You want the pcre packages then (pcre and pcre-devel).
>> no, not really.
> Care to say why?

My interest in regular expressions is limited to maintaining CLISP
regexp & pcre modules:
<http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes/modules.html#pcre>
<http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes/modules.html#regexp>
this specific issue was motivated by my attempt to adopt a regexp
testsuite
<http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/clisp/clisp/modules/regexp/test.tst>
(comments welcome - not here but on
<http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/clisp-list>)

Could you (or anyone else) explain to me the rationale behind BREs
supporting back-refs and EREs not supporting them?
This is very counterintuitive.
I don't think this is directly relevant to cygwin,
so private e-mail is welcome.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running w2k
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
If you think big enough, you'll never have to do it.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/