Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: cygwin-1.5.6-1
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 16:55:53 -0800

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> 
> I've made a new version of the Cygwin DLL and associated utilities
> available for download.  As usual, a list of what has changed is below.

Again, thanks for all your work.

> - Fix problems programs which need a console available when running on a
> pty.  (Christopher Faylor)

After upgrading, I noticed a difference with the tty usage compared to
1.5.5.  Now, don't get me wrong, nothing's broke that I can tell, but
I'm just a little bit curious about the following:

When I open an rxvt shell prompt, it appears that each one has allocated
two ttys.  For example, with 3 rxvts running:

$ w
 16:51:19 up 15 days, 23:19,  6 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
USER     TTY      FROM              LOGIN@   IDLE   JCPU   PCPU  WHAT
brian    tty0     BOOCH            15:57    0.00s  0.00s   ?     -
brian    tty1     :0               15:57    0.00s  0.00s   ?     -
brian    tty2     BOOCH            15:58    0.00s  0.00s   ?     -
brian    tty3     :0               15:58    0.00s  0.00s   ?     -
brian    tty4     BOOCH            16:51    0.00s  0.00s   ?     -
brian    tty5     :0               16:51    0.00s  0.00s   ?     -

I don't have an X server running at all.  My DISPLAY variable is set to
"localhost:0.0" but it doesn't seem to matter if I remove that from
.profile.  My $CYGWIN is set to "ntsec tty" and this is under w2k:

CYGWIN_NT-5.0 booch 1.5.6(0.108/3/2) 2004-01-19 00:43 i686 unknown
unknown Cygwin

So, just out of curiosity, why two ttys for each rxvt?

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/