Subject: Re: SSH key authentification problem
From: "Ehud Karni" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 13:58:42 +0200

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 12:06:54 +0100, Marc Poppleton <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> > The problem's probably on the server end. It must be configured to
> > accept pubkey auth, as well as having your public key installed
> > properly.  You can see that the client tries pubkey but it's not
> > accepted.
>
> Yes, this is what it looks like to me.

The public key may be disallowed because of wrong permissions on the
server side. If you are logging into your own account on the server,
check that:
  Your home directory ($HOME) has no write permissions to group/other.
  Your SSH directory ($HOME/.ssh) is accessed only by you (i.e. 700)
  Your authorized keys file (authorized_keys or authorized_keys2) is
       in the SSH directory, not writable by others and has your
       public key in it.

If for any reason your home directory is writable by others (this is
a security breach), your system administrator can allow it by changing
the sshd configuration file (/etc/ssh/sshd_config) and restarting sshd.
She should check for the following line:
    StrictModes no             (default is yes)

Ehud.

- --
 Ehud Karni           Tel: +972-3-7966-561  /"\
 Mivtach - Simon      Fax: +972-3-7966-667  \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
 Insurance agencies   (USA) voice mail and   X   Against   HTML   Mail
 http://www.mvs.co.il  FAX:  1-815-5509341  / \
 GnuPG: 98EA398D <http://www.keyserver.net/>    Better Safe Than Sorry

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/