Subject: geomview successfully compiled!!
From: "B. Marchand" <[email-masked]>
To: cygwin-xfree <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 18:34:44 -0500

Thank you Brian!

Boy, these unupdated mirrors have been a real pain for me. I 
re-installed the lesstif package, as you suggested, and that fixed it. 
The problem is that when I first installed cygwin, I did so from a 
mirror that did not have the most up to date packages 
(ftp.csociety-ftp.ecn.purdue.edu/pub/cygwin). Later, when I installed 
some packages that were missing, they came from 
ftp.mirrors.mcs.anl.gov/pub/cygwin.com, which was also not up to date. 
Someone recently suggested I try mirrors.kernel.org instead to update my 
xfree86 packages but I never updated lesstif.

I'm not sure if the cygwin setup utility has an "Update" option where it 
reads the version available on that mirror, compares it to the version 
you have installed, and determines if you need an update or not. Anyway, 
it claimed I didn't need it but I re-installed it anyhow.

Well, it works great now.

The installation instructions on
http://www.rzuser.uni-heidelberg.de/~mfoehl/Geomview_under_Windows.html
work fine, even without the -lDtPrint option. The alternate xforms 
library location
http://ftp.fh-wolfenbuettel.de/links/unix/desktop/xforms/NT/GnuWIN32/
seems to be acceptable as well.

To compile, and have the configure file detect the xforms library, the 
full path to them must be specified and that option must appear before 
the call to opengl or motif as follows

./configure -with-xforms=/usr/local/src/geomview-1.8.1/xforms/FORMS 
-with-motif=/usr/X11R6 -with-opengl=/usr/X11R6

I think I'll put up a website with ALL the files necessary, including 
the xforms library, for people to download in the future. I'll make sure 
to add a note listing the package versions I had installed when I 
compiled it.

Thanks again Brian.

--B.

>On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, B. Marchand wrote:
>
>> At any rate, I had already posted this to the cygwin-xfree site with no
>> real success in terms of responses. I posted it here as well only for
>> completion.
>>
>I appologize, as I just found that post.  I am *really* behind on my list
>reading because of the flu, then the holidays, and then a funeral.  As
>such, I am reading the list backward chronologically and trying to keep up
>with the current stuff.
>
>At any case, that post did not contain the vital error message that
>clearly implies your problem.  If you would follow my suggestions about
>updating your installation (particularly Xt, and lesstif), then
>recompile, you should get much further.
>
>Good luck.
>
>-- 
>Brian Ford
>Senior Realtime Software Engineer
>VITAL - Visual Simulation Systems
>FlightSafety International
>Phone: 314-551-8460
>Fax:   314-551-8444
>

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/