Subject: Re: Geomview compilation under cygwin ...
From: "B. Marchand" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], cygwin-xfree <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 17:30:59 -0500

Well, the only reason why I visited a separate website was to download 
the xforms library. The xforms library is not actually needed to compile 
geomview. It's only used to compile some of the examples that come with 
it. Geomview itself will run fine without it. Even if you do include it, 
it will have no impact on the geomview base itself.

After extensively searching the internet it became clear to me that a 
few people have tried to compile geomview under cygwin, and done so 
unsuccessfully. If there have been any successful compilations they 
haven't made it public knowledge, at least not that I've found yet. So, 
in that respect, at least I was able to get it to compile just fine in 
the most recent cygwin release. Unfortunately, just because something 
compiles doesn't mean it works, as is the case here. Seeing that I don't 
have a lot of time to go through the source and debug the code I was 
hoping someone could offer some insight in the interest of time.

The website that contains the installation instructions is, as you 
pointed out, German. Though the instructions are in English the source 
page itself is in German. I'm not up to date on my German so I can't do 
much about that. There's no email listed anywhere about the author of 
that page so I can't contact him, though I've tried to via other 
channels with no success.

So, the only source I have left is this, hoping that perhaps someone who 
has successfully compiled it before can share some information. Even 
better, perhaps I can get them to email me their source tree so I can 
compile it on my computer since they already got it to work. Perhaps 
Matthias Foehl, the author of that webpage, will be reading this mailing 
list at some point and he can get in touch with me, since I can't get a 
hold of him.

It's a small community but perhaps there's another geomview user out 
there reading this who can offer some pointers.

At any rate, I had already posted this to the cygwin-xfree site with no 
real success in terms of responses. I posted it here as well only for 
completion.

--B.

Christopher Faylor wrote:

>On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 04:51:16PM -0500, B. Marchand wrote:
>  
>
>>I followed the instructions on
>>http://www.rzuser.uni-heidelberg.de/~mfoehl/Geomview_under_Windows.html
>>
>>about compiling geomview under cygwin. I had to acquire the forms
>>library for Win32 from a different source
>>
>>http://ftp.fh-wolfenbuettel.de/links/unix/desktop/xforms/NT/GnuWIN32/
>>    
>>
>
>You found instructions on a website in Germany for compiling a package,
>picked up another package for some additional pieces, and, then, went
>to a third location for help when things didn't work as expected.
>
>It seems to me that you probably should go back to the first site and
>ask them for help about this since they are ostensibly the experts.
>--
>Please use the resources at cygwin.com rather than sending personal email.
>Special for spam email harvesters: send email to [email-masked]
>and be permanently blocked from mailing lists at sources.redhat.com
>  
>

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/