Subject: Geomview compilation under cygwin ...
From: "B. Marchand" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 16:51:16 -0500

I followed the instructions on
http://www.rzuser.uni-heidelberg.de/~mfoehl/Geomview_under_Windows.html

about compiling geomview under cygwin. I had to acquire the forms
library for Win32 from a different source

http://ftp.fh-wolfenbuettel.de/links/unix/desktop/xforms/NT/GnuWIN32/

since they seem to be temporarily unavailable from the xforms website 
(https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/xforms).
At any rate, everything seems to configure and compile fine. However, 
once I type in "geomview" and hit return, the computer thinks about it 
for a few seconds and then the prompt returns to normal and there is no 
geomview process running. No error messages are ever sent to the screen 
so I don't know what is going on. If I type "geomview -debug" instead I 
get the following message:

Warning: XmManager ClassInitialize: XmeTraitSet failed
Error: attempt to add non-widget child "DropSiteManager" to parent 
"Geomview" which supports only widgets.

I tried compiling it with both the gcc 3 and gcc 2.95.3, they both 
appear to compile but do nothing. I only had to make one modification to 
the instructions listed in
http://www.rzuser.uni-heidelberg.de/~mfoehl/Geomview_under_Windows.html.
I could not find the DtPrint library that is referenced in these 
instructions so I just left it out. Now, the default compiler is 3.x. 
So, to compile with 2.95.3, I copied the gcc-2.exe executable to gcc.exe 
and stored gcc.exe under another name. I hope that's all I had to do. 
Also, I tried running under both mwm and twm and same thing happens. 
Just for kicks, I went into the /usr/local/Geomview/bin directory and 
typed ./example and the "Velocity" window comes up so at least something 
comes works partially. I can also compile and run savi under cygwin without
any problems, of course without the Geomview 3D visualization part.

Any ideas as to what the problem may be?

Thanks.

--B.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/