Subject: Building nco: changes in Cygwin break linking
From: Mark Hadfield <[email-masked]>
To: Cygwin Mailing List <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 13:00:10 +1300

Hello all

I am trying to build NCO version 2.8.0 from source 
(http://nco.sourceforge.net/). I have Windows 2000 SP4 with an 
up-to-date, reasonably complete Cygwin environment (cygwin 1.5.5-1, gcc 
3.3.1-3, etc). I use the usual "./configure, make" process. The build 
fails to produce executables, with output like this

/bin/bash ../../libtool --mode=link cc  -g -O2 -ansi  -L/usr/local/lib  
-o ncwa.exe  ncwa.o libnco.la -lnco -lintl -lm -lC -lnetcdf
cc -g -O2 -ansi -o ncwa.exe ncwa.o  -L/usr/local/lib ./.libs/libnco.a 
-L/usr/lib /usr/local/lib/libnco.a /usr/lib/libintl.dll.a 
/usr/lib/libiconv.dll.a -lC -lnetcdf
fu000001.o(.idata$3+0xc): undefined reference to `_libc_iname'
fu000002.o(.idata$3+0xc): undefined reference to `_libc_iname'
fu000003.o(.idata$3+0xc): undefined reference to `_libc_iname'
fu000004.o(.idata$3+0xc): undefined reference to `_libc_iname'
fu000005.o(.idata$3+0xc): undefined reference to `_libc_iname'
fu000006.o(.idata$3+0xc): more undefined references to `_libc_iname' follow
Info: resolving _optarg by linking to __imp__optarg (auto-import)
Info: resolving _optind by linking to __imp__optind (auto-import)
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

When I followed exactly the same steps with exactly the same source on 
14 Aug 2003 I did not encounter this error. IIRC, I had an up-to-date, 
reasonably complete Cygwin environment then. So I presume that the 
problem is caused by the installation of a newer version of some Cygwin 
software component in the meantime.

Any suggestions on how to diagnose & solve the problem?

-- 

Mark Hadfield            "Ka puwaha te tai nei, Hoea tatou"
[email-masked]
National Institute for Water and Atmospheric Research (NIWA)

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/