Subject: Re: installing Gtk-Perl on cygwin (very long, but it actually works now;)
From: muppet <[email-masked]>
To: "Gerrit @ cygwin" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "dominix" <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 20:31:54 -0500

please note that gtk-perl is obsolete and barely maintained.

gtk2-perl, on the other hand, is under active development, has native  
win32 support, and is reported to work with cygwin.

if you are planning to write new code, please do not use gtk-perl, use  
gtk2-perl.

if you are trying to use an old gtk-perl app, it may be easier to port  
the app to gtk2-perl than to get gtk-perl working reliably on win32.   
for apps that depend too heavily on Gtk::CList, Gtk::CTree, or  
Gtk::Text to port easily, i wrote Gtk2::Deprecated some time back, but  
i make no claim that it works well and have not attempted to compile it  
on win32.

native win32 binaries for gtk2-perl
	http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wayne.keenan/gtk/

the gtk2-perl homepage
	http://gtk2-perl.sourceforge.net/

screenshots of gtk2-perl in action on win2k
	http://gtk2-perl.sourceforge.net/misc/win32-screenshots/

Gtk2::Deprecated provides support for deprecated widgets not included  
in gtk2-perl, to ease the porting process.  0.02 is a new version which  
works with ExtUtils::PkgConfig instead of Glib::PkgConfig.  not tested  
on win32, not recommended for production use.
	http://asofyet.org/muppet/software/gtk2-perl/Gtk2-Deprecated- 
0.02.tar.gz

--
"it's hard to be eventful when you have this much style."
    - me, rationalizing yet another night of sitting at home.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/