Subject: Re: cvs and NTFS streams do not play well together...
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 18:54:28 -0800

[email-masked] wrote:

> Hi, I am using Cygwin 1.5.5 and cvs 1.11.6 on top of Windows NT 5.1.2600
> SP1.  When I try to "cvs co" a file with a colon in its name, cvs gets
> horribly confused by NTFS streams and commits suicide.  The exact error
> message is as follows:  (note:  I was checking out the "src" module on
> the "HEAD" branch in the FreeBSD Project's CVS repository when this cropped
> up)

Filenames under Windows (both FAT and NTFS) cannot contain colons, so
I'm not really sure what you're expecting Cygwin to do here.  It's a
fundamental Windows limitation.

That said, you should try a managed mount for your cvs checkout
directory.  It's still an experimental feature but trying to use a
filename with a colon on a normal mount is guaranteed to fail so I don't
see that you have much to lose.

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/