Subject: CVS on Windows OS, under Cygwin: incompatibility with textmode
From: "Agosta, John M" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 18:43:25 -0800

(w/ cross posting to gnu.cvs.help)

I set up the CVS (1.11.6-3) port to Windows that comes in Cygwin.
Everything worked fine, except checking out files with CVS was adding
extra lines to files -- under some circumstances---checked-out files had
the Windows \r\n line termination changed to \r\r\n. 
 
It appears to be an interaction between Cygwin and CVS. Using a Cygwin
port of a Unix shell appears to be necessary to running a command-line
CVS client from Windows---using the windows cmd prompt to run CVS gave
me errors.  The configuration is simple.  The archive is a remote file
system mounted on the client windows machine.  All commands are run on
the client with CVSROOT pointing to the archive directory on the remote.

Here were the clues: The problem only appeared on one of two apparently
identical client machines. The archive files themselves were not
corrupted. All profile, install scripts, environment variables were
identical on both machines, but the mount command showed that the
mis-functioning machine mounted its directories in textmode, and the
functioning machine in binmode. Since there is no equivalent fstab file
in Cygwin, this configuration is read from in the Windows registry at
boot time. (See http://cygwin.com/cygwin-up-net/using.html#MOUNT-TABLE.)
The registry configuration is the first step in the Cygwin
setup.exe---It can be modified by re-running setup  and choosing default
text file type == UNIX (without re-installing any files). 
 
Users who choose this setting will have to accept not being able to open
files saved by Cygwin commands (e.g. cat) in Windows notepad.
Fortunately most Windows applications (MS Word, VS6) have no problem
interpreting line breaks in unix style text files. 
 
I suppose that CVS is conservative when it archives files, and does not
"unixify" them, but interacts with Cygwin to modify them on checkout.
Is is possible to configure cvs to treat import and checkout
consistently when Cygwin mounts directories in textmode?

John Mark Agosta
Intel Corporation. SC12-303 
2200 Mission College Blvd.
Santa Clara, CA 95054

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/