Subject: Re: Question about ash and getopts
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2004 02:34:48 -0800

Peter Seebach wrote:

> >Or perhaps at the time the change was made fork/vfork was not nearly as
> >optimized as it is now.
> 
> That wouldn't give ash any special advantages over bash; indeed, it would
> seem to favor shells with *more* builtins.

It could make a huge difference if bash used fork() while ash used
spawn(), or something like that.  I don't know all the details here but
I know that process creation is terribly expensive under Windows and
there are multiple ways of achieving the same thing.

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/