Subject: Re: Question about ash and getopts
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2004 02:03:04 -0800

Peter Seebach wrote:

> Note also that, on the gcc configure script, the difference between /bin/sh
> and bash is maybe 5 seconds on a script that takes nearly 3 minutes.  It's
> hard for me to imagine this being the source of the word "abysmal"; I'm
> assuming something else was changed.  Maybe different optimizer flags were
> used on /bin/bash back then, which produced worse results?

Or perhaps at the time the change was made fork/vfork was not nearly as
optimized as it is now.  FWIW I was reading the archives about when
/bin/sh became ash, and it was sometime between B18 and B19, so late
1997/early 1998.  That's going on six years ago, and I'm sure there have
been plenty of core optimizations since.

Brian
(oh, and happy new year and thanks for everyone's work on Cygwin)

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/