Subject: Re: permission denied for Remsh on Windows 2000 Server
From: "Alejandro Lopez-Valencia" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 06:34:39 -0500

El Wed, 17 Dec 2003 16:44:34 +0530, Amit RATHEE escribió en el mensaje 
<[email-masked]>:

> Hi,
>
> I have a domain with many users and I try to enumerate the userid .It 
> comes
> out to be 193456 by cygwin.Now I delete the entries from passwd file and
> make the UID very short i.e. 19 and when I log in as user it shows me the
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
          Holy Mother of the Deity!

> "PERMISSION DENIED".
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
     Phew! That was close!

> Everything works well if I do the same above activities with the uid less
> than the 65356 no. generated by cygwin.
>

If you read the contents of /etc/passwd, you'll notice that cygwin uses 
the UID numbers generated by Windows, you just can't go about putting in 
anything you like there. On the other hand 19 is a system reserved UID, 
both in Windows *and* Unix; you may use it but you will be opening a 
security hole big enough to drive the Titanic through your system without 
knocking an iceberg.

Cheers

Alejo

-- 

乾坤一滴

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/