Subject: Re: Really big files?
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 18:12:38 -0800

Greg Freemyer wrote:
> 
> If I wanted to troubleshoot this, how would I do it?

Does the following work -

dd if=/dev/zero of=/cygdrive/e/full_image bs=4k count=44430720

That would at least rule out the reading part of it.

What about quotas?  Recycle bin full?  Anything in the Event Log?

I'm not sure if strace would be useful here, you'd see a call to write()
that returns -1 and errno would hold EPERM.  But maybe there'd be more
info, I dunno.  It would certainly make a huge log file, that's for
sure.

dd is in the fileutils package.  You can find this out for any filename
with the package search page:
<http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-grep.cgi?grep=%2Fbin%2Fdd.exe>

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/