Subject: Re: man produces ESC
From: "Alejandro Lopez-Valencia" <[email-masked]>
To: "Cygwin Users List" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 11:58:27 -0500

El Sat, 13 Dec 2003 10:29:39 -0600, B. K. Oxley (binkley) 
<[email-masked]> escribió:

> On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 15:09:39 -0800 Steve Kelem <[email-masked]>
> wrote in <[email-masked]>:
>> Problem 1:
>> When I run "man man", all the escape sequences show up in less (version 
>> 381):
>> ESC[1mNAMEESC[0m
>> man - format and display the on=line manual pages
>
> I too have this problem as of Ded 13.  Is there some fix I can apply?
> This problem makes man almost useless.  I pipe through col to help, but
> it only does so much.

Strange, that has been fixed for a looong time now... Anyway, short answer:

$ cat > /etc/profile.d/less.sh
LESS=isrR
export LESS
^D

fixes the problem; close your shell and start a new one.

Have you modified /etc/man.config in any way? Groff 1.18 grotty driver 
changed its behavior to output SGR codes instead of the old printer 
control codes that were incidentally understood by VT-100 and related 
terminals; the evident gain is that you can output color codes understood 
in a terminal emulator. The less pager can understand such codes if 
invoked with the flags shown above; lowly more, btw, does it OOTB. These 
same flags are used by man in Cygwin, because they are included in 
/etc/man.config: "PAGER=less -isrR" unless you are using a very old man 
(more than a year old at the least) or you have broken it yourself :-)

-- 
The limits of my language are the limits of my world.
                                  Ludwig Wittgenstein

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/