Subject: Re: Question about cygwin sshd and StrictModes
From: "Ehud Karni" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 21:00:30 +0200

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 09:17:23 -0800, Matt Berney <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the no-help.  I have already read all relevant
> documentation that I could find.  That is the reason for
> posting a message to the group.  In the future, if you wish
> to be helpful, please offer more than RTFM.

I don't exactly know what Larry meant, but if you read the "Fucking"
manual as you claim, you either missed or misunderstood the following
(from the man pages of sshd_config(5) ):

  StrictModes
    Specifies whether sshd should check file modes and ownership of
    the user's files and home directory before accepting login.  This
                        ^^^^^^
    is normally desirable because novices sometimes accidentally
    leave their directory or files world-writable.  The default is
    ``yes''.

Which is in plain English: check the permissions of your Home (~/)
and your ssh (~/.ssh) directories. Your home directory must NOT be
writable by others (not even from your group) and the ~/.ssh should
not be readable by others (because you may have your private keys
there).

Ehud.

- --
 Ehud Karni           Tel: +972-3-7966-561  /"\
 Mivtach - Simon      Fax: +972-3-7966-667  \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
 Insurance agencies   (USA) voice mail and   X   Against   HTML   Mail
 http://www.mvs.co.il  FAX:  1-815-5509341  / \
 GnuPG: 98EA398D <http://www.keyserver.net/>    Better Safe Than Sorry

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/