Subject: Re: Cygwin port of Perl broken on Win32? Or does Cygwin not run on win32?
From: "Gerrit P. Haase" <[email-masked]>
To: linda w <[email-masked]>
Cc: Rafael Kitover <[email-masked]>, "'Cygwin List'" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 07:45:29 +0100

Hallo linda,

Am Donnerstag, 4. Dezember 2003 um 20:27 schriebst du:

> How is it that "IsWinNT came to be "undefined" on a Win-based platform,
> anyway?  Just seems weird...

We have a POSIX layer above of Windows which is Cygwin, usually it is
enough to use 'OS=unix' in the Perl sources, sometimes we use some
exceptions and then the OS is defined as Cygwin.  There are parts in
the Windows Perl code which are not ported, however there is e.g. much
code about handling path conversion which isn't needed for Cygwin
because cygwin1.dll does the conversion and Perl can use it like it is
on other POSIX systems.  Other parts are missing in Cygwin Perl and
needs to be ported, probably the best would be to use native Windows
API calls to get around limitations in Cygwin.

Gerrit
-- 
=^..^=

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/