Subject: Re: Fresh cygwin install shows escape sequences (pager problems with man & less)
From: "Gerrit P. Haase" <[email-masked]>
To: "Bob Cunningham" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 00:09:31 +0100

Guten Tag Bob Cunningham,

am Montag, 24. November 2003 um 22:29 schrieben Sie:

BC> On the fresh cygwin install, even before installing ~/.bashrc,
BC> when I did "man bash" all the ANSI escape sequences were visible.
BC> If I specify "MANPAGER=more", the sequences are interpreted as  
BC> expected.

BC> The problem seems to be with 'less'.  It appears less needs to be
BC> aliased to 'less -r' for this behavior to go away.  Things are OK
BC> with man if I set "MANPAGER='less -r'.  

Or this:
export LESS=R

BC> Anyone got a spare clue?  Any idea why the default installation of
BC> 'man' and 'less' are behaving this way after a Monday install,
BC> when all was fine last Friday?  

This problem exists with 'standard' perldoc output a little longer
now, about a year or two.  Using less -r or export LESS=R does the
trick.  It was already discussed here and elsewhere.  I used to patch
the perl sources to use text mode for the perldoc output as it is done
on Windows too, but I don't include the patch anymore.  Maybe an
update of less and the underlying tools would help here more than to
fix the symptoms?

-- 
Mit freundlichen Grüssen
Gerrit P. Haase
mailto:[email-masked]

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/