Subject: Re: Perl CPAN module help
From: [email-masked] (Peter J. Acklam)
To: "Gary Nielson" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Peter J. Acklam" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 16:29:18 +0100

"Gary Nielson" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Thank you so much. If I wanted to start fresh with a new perl
> installation -- replacing the executables and all the modules --
> how do you recommend I do this under cygwin.

  - Run setup.exe and uninstall all versions of perl.

  - Manually remove the perl library directory

       rm -rf /usr/lib/perl5

  - Run setup.exe and install perl.

  - Start the CPAN shell.

       cpan

  - You'll be prompted for a lot of information.  I accept the
    default everywhere, with the following exceptions:

      - "CPAN build and cache directory? [...]"  /.cpan
                                                 ^^^^^^
      - "What is your favorite shell?" /usr/bin/bash
                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      - "Every Makefile.PL is run by perl in a separate process. Likewise we
        ...
        Your choice:  []" PREFIX=/usr/local
                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      - "Now we need to know where your favorite CPAN sites are located. Push
        a few sites onto the array (just in case the first on the array won't
        ...
        (1) Africa
        (2) Asia
        (3) Central America
        (4) Europe
        (5) North America
        (6) Oceania
        (7) South America"

        Here you must make a choice depending on your location.
        Since I'm in Norway, I chose continent 4 (Europe),
        contries 20 and 28 (Norway and Sweden) and then all the
        sites that were listed.

   - Now you should see something like

       cpan shell -- CPAN exploration and modules installation (v1.7601)
       ReadLine support enabled

       cpan> 

   - Remember to set the PERL5LIB environment variable with one of
     these (depending on whether you're using a C-shell or a
     Bourne shell):

       setenv PERL5LIB /usr/local/lib/perl5:/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl

       PERL5LIB=/usr/local/lib/perl5:/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl
       export PERL5LIB

   - If you install the LWP module (or better yet Bundle::LWP),
     don't install the HEAD alias, since you'll end up with a name
     conflict with the standard head utility.

*Whew*  That should be all, I think.

Peter

-- 
Peter J. Acklam - [email-masked] - http://home.online.no/~pjacklam

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/