Subject: Re: Perl CPAN module help
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 12:44:47 -0800

Gary Nielson wrote:
> 
> Hi,
> 
> I am getting somewhere. I used setup and installed needed executables such
> as gcc. Did a force install in cpan for LWP modules and it seemed to be go
> great. All tests were successful in make test. But when running make install
> I got the error:
> 
> "Cannot forceunlink /usr/bin/HEAD: No such file or directory at
> /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/File/Find.pm line 873.
> make: *** [pure_site_install] Error 255
> /usr/bin/make install -- NOT OK.

On unix, 'head' is the program that displays the first 'n' lines of a
file, whereas 'HEAD' is a utility that's installed from LWP to do the
HTTP HEAD command from the command line (there's also GET.)  In unix,
case is significant, so it's perfectly fine to have both HEAD and a head
commands, but under Windows and thus Cygwin, case doesn't matter.  So
you have to skip the HEAD utility from LWP, or temporarily remove/rename
the standard head command.

I don't think this error should be fatal, and there should be an option
or switch or something to prevent it from trying to install HEAD.

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/