Subject: "Cannot read: No space left on device" accessing DDS3 drive on W2K
From: "Sean Brown" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Sean Brown" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 14:21:36 -0500

Problem Description:  I have a tape archive on a DDS3 tape created under
GNU/Linux 2.2.18.  The tape was created with a blocksize of 512 and IS
accessible and usable on the linux machine.  On the W2K machine using
Cygwin, I get the following error when trying to list the contents of
the tape:

$ tar tvf /dev/st0
tar: /dev/st0: Cannot read: No space left on device
tar: At beginning of tape, quitting now
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

The status of the tape, as reported by mt, is as follows:

$ mt -f /dev/st0 status 2
tape capacity    : 12569987 KB          remaining        : 12569987 KB
current block    :        0             write protected  :       no
datcompression   :       on
min block size   :        1             max block size   :    65536
def block size   :    16384             cur block size   :      512
report setmarks  :       on

I have plenty of space on all mounted drive points so I am unsure what
this error means.  I have checked google and the cygwin mailing archives
and have not found any references to this problem.  There is a reference
to this error on this list about a year ago
(http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-09/msg00877.html) but the problem
in this case was a bad tape.  I have tested three tapes which are
readable on the linux machine but get this error on the Cygwin machine.
The tapes in question are DDS3 but the drives in both the Linux and W2K
machines are DDS4.  I have tried setting the blocksize to numerous
values (0, 1, 512, 16384) with the same error each time.

I would love to be able to get this to work since it will make
transferring data between sites and platforms very convenient.  I've
tried all I can think of so any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sean Brown
Director Information Resources
Applied Geographics, Inc.
Boston, MA
617-292-7125 

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/