Subject: Re: a try at killall
From: "Linda W." <[email-masked]>
To: Lapo Luchini <[email-masked]>
Cc: Mailing List: CygWin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 02:02:47 -0800

If your system is bogged down, the cygwin command overhead could slow things
down alot.

A single command replacement:
/c/Program Files/Sysinternals> psexec

PsExec v1.31 - execute processes remotely
Copyright (C) 2001-2002 Mark Russinovich
www.sysinternals.com

PsExec executes a program on a remote system, where remotely executed 
console
applications execute interactively.

Usage: psexec \\computer [-u user [-p psswd]][-s][-i][-c [-f]][-d] cmd 
[argument
s]
     -u         Specifies optional user name for login to remote
                computer.
     -p         Specifies optional password for user name. If you omit this
                you will be prompted to enter a hidden password.
     -s         Run the remote process in the System account.
     -i         Run the program so that it interacts with the desktop on the
                remote system.
     -c         Copy the specified program to the remote system for
                execution. If you omit this option the application
                must be in the system path on the remote system.
     -f         Copy the specified program even if the file already
                exists on the remote system.
     -d         Don't wait for process to terminate (non-interactive).
     program    Name of application to execute.
     arguments  Arguments to pass (note that file paths must be
                absolute paths on the target system).

You can enclose applications that have spaces in their name with
quotation marks e.g. psexec \\marklap "c:\long name app.exe".
Input is only passed to the remote system when you press the enter
key, and typing Ctrl-C terminates the remote process.

If you omit a user name the process will run in the context of your
account on the remote system, but will not have access to network
resources (because it is impersonating). Specify a valid user name
in the Domain\User syntax if the remote process requires access
to network resources or to run in a different account. Note that
the password is transmitted in clear text to the remote system.

/c/Program Files/Sysinternals> pskill

PsKill v1.03 - local and remote process killer
Copyright (C) 2000 Mark Russinovich
http://www.sysinternals.com

PsKill terminates processes on a local or remote NT system.

Usage: C:\Program Files\Sysinternals\pskill.exe [\\RemoteComputer [-u 
Username]]
 <process Id or name>
     -u    Specifies optional user name for login to
           remote computer.

/c/Program Files/Sysinternals> pskill SecureCRT

PsKill v1.03 - local and remote process killer
Copyright (C) 2000 Mark Russinovich
http://www.sysinternals.com
/c/Program Files/Sysinternals>
3 processes named SecureCRT killed.

/c/Program Files/Sysinternals>

----------
    You could always rename it "killall.exe" if that suites your 
fancy...  Doesn't
take a signal number though....

-linda

Lapo Luchini wrote:

> Not complete, but usually works for me 0=)
>
> $ cat /usr/local/bin/killall
> #!/bin/sh
> ps -s | sed -re "/$1$/s/^ +([0-9]+).*$/\1/;t fine;d;:fine" | xargs 
> kill $2 $3 $4
>

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/