Subject: cygwin performance
From: "Linda W." <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 11:42:21 -0700

Has anyone done any testing on performance of cygwin utils over their 
native win
counterparts?  The one that bothers me the most is the performance of 
cygwin "Find"
and the windows 'find'.  If I'm just looking for filenames (find /c/ 
-name \*.wav) vs.
looking for *.wav in windows find GUI, the performance difference is 
very large (maybe
8-10x?).  Is this unavoidable because the way cygwin does emulation or 
can optimizations
be performed that would benefit all programs (not just find).

Even using 'perl' over combo's of cat|tr|sed|grep|more is significantly 
faster to almost
make the old unix standard scripting commands near worthless (I've 
gotten more efficient at
1-line perl scripts ala (perl -e '....').

Perhaps it is unavoidable, but I see things like find doing 2 'opens' / 
file when it is
searching for files...can't it just do a 'stat' of some nature?  does it 
need to do an open, let
alone 2?

Just wondering....

tnx,
-linda

-- 
         --->         A software Engineer for CA governer?         <---
         --->            Georgy Russell for CA governor            <---
         --->             http://www.georgyforgov.com              <---

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/