Subject: Re: 1.5.5: Problem with Convert::ASN1 module and Perl 5.8.0
From: "Gerrit P. Haase" <[email-masked]>
To: Russell Tokuyama <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 23:21:26 +0200

Hallo Russell,

Am Montag, 20. Oktober 2003 um 21:18 schriebst du:

> I noticed that after compiling 5.8.0 from the source distribution
> (5.8.0-5) perldoc fails with an error message about not being able
> to create a temporary file: 

> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> $ date
> Mon Oct 20 08:19:25 HST 2003

> $ perldoc perlfunc
> Error in tempfile() using /tmp/XXXXXXXXXX: Could not create temp file
>  /tmp/w4piWtmuSt:  at /usr/bin/perldoc line 564

> $ ls -l /tmp
> total 0
> -rw-r--r--    1 russ     None            0 Oct 20 08:19 w4piWtmuSt

Does it work if you make the directory executable (mode 755) as it
should be? 

> Checking the log.test file created by the build.sh script, I noticed
> that the test of tempfile failed:

> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> lib/File/Temp/t/tempfile.............Error in tempfile() using
>  /tmp/XXXXXXXXXX.t xt: Could not create temp file /tmp/yvTTCjl9aJ.txt:
>  at ../lib/File/Temp/t/tempfile.t line 48
> FAILED at test 2
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Probably just a permission problem, see above.

> But, then I noticed this in the log:

> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> Failed 46 test scripts out of 659, 93.02% okay.
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Ouch.

> Despite this, the build.sh script goes ahead and installs the
> recompiled Perl 5.8.0.  Is this reasonable behavior?

Well, there is a new feature in perl-5.8.1 similar to autotools
DESTDIR, but it wasn't available with perl 5.8.0, since there are many
hardcoded paths it is really a mess to install in a separate
directory, you need to fix it all up and make a tarball then.

> It appears that Cygwin doesn't support the creation and opening
> of a temporary file to avoid a race condition as intended by the
> File::Temp::tempfile function.  The perldoc seems to indicate
> that the use of the File::Temp:tmpnam function would probably
> be a better choice under for perldoc under Cygwin since apparently
> Cygwin can't handle the file semantics as described in the perldoc
> for File::Temp::tempfile.

II never saw problems like this and I have not more than two or three
tests failing (usually), so I suggest that something must be the
cuplprit, but not Perl.

Gerrit
-- 
=^..^=

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/