Subject: Re: merging mingw and cygwin
From: Edward Peschko <[email-masked]>
To: Andrew DeFaria <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 15:45:22 -0700

> Just because they are available does not mean you need to use them! Look 
> I asked you if you were able to build Windows only applications using 
> -mno-cygwin. You failed to answer that question. I'm able to build such 
> apps and you should be too. You are arguing about the differences in 
> implementations and assuming that there will be a problem. Is there a 
> problem for you or not?

Like I said, I'm not worried about my specific applications. I want cygwin
to transparently and with no fuss - and correctly - build third party APIs,
so I can properly link with them (and debug them if necessary).

> We can speculate from now until forever but until and unless you try it 
> you'll never know for sure. Let us know how you make out...

I did try it. With berkeleydb.  Read my previous post.

> Not sure what msys is at all...

msys is the group of tools that comes with mingw32 to facilitate building.
rm, ln, etc. They work differently than cygwin tools.

> >MINGW and/or NO_CYGWIN simply wrap all of this up in a nice user friendly 
> >package.

> Let us know how your first implementation of this concept goes...

Is this an OK from the developers of cygwin to do an implementation, with 
the results of that implementation being merged into cygwin? I don't want 
to spend a lot of time pursuing it if my results don't have a chance of being
merged.

The last time I asked, the answer was no to this question.

Ed

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/