Subject: Re: merging mingw and cygwin
From: Larry Hall <[email-masked]>
To: Edward Peschko <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 19:13:40 -0400

At 06:41 PM 10/12/2003, Edward Peschko you wrote:
>> to support just gcc.  Everyone does not want all of the 600+ megabytes
>> of Cygwin just because they want a C++ compiler (or C, or FORTRAN).  That
>> is why some good, open source IDE's for C/C++ use MingW as part of their
>> full installation.  No fuss, no muss, relatively lightweight download.
>> 
>> Wayne Keen
>> 
>Right.. all good points, but all minor barriers to overcome. All you would have to do 
>is put an 'install mingw subset' button on setup.exe, and it would well, install a mingw
>subset and put cygwin in 'mingw mode'. 

Not true.  Cygwin already has this "mingw mode".  Granted, there's no one
button in setup for it.  But if you really wanted one button, you could add 
a package that had dependencies on all the packages you'd want.  That would
do it.  I'm guessing we're again talking in the hypothetical sense since
you've stated previously that you have no plans to contribute anything 
towards your professed goals.  But I thought it important to correct your
misstatements.  It would really be better if you tried harder to verify 
the validity of your statements before you make them.  It will help keep
the email archives from filling up with unproductive assertions.

>It sure would beat the install process for mingw right now, which is a manual 
>horror right now involving the download and installation of several,
>separate packages in different directories.

That's a Mingw issue and is off-topic for this list.

>If, of course -mno-cygwin == mingw, which I'm going through right now.
>
>Ed
>
>(
>    ps - even if I can cobble together, say berkeleydb which builds native in mingw right
>    now, how does -mno-cygwin benefit from all the work that the mingw team has done in
>    making the native windows port of cygwin work?
>)

What are you talking about?  You would be better off testing out some of 
this before posting these musings.  You'd find the answers allot quicker 
and learn much along the way.

--
Larry Hall                              http://www.rfk.com
RFK Partners, Inc.                      (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
838 Washington Street                   (508) 893-9889 - FAX
Holliston, MA 01746                     

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/