Subject: Re: Perl Tk in Cygwin (using X)
From: Charles Plager <[email-masked]>
To: "Gerrit P. Haase" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 11:16:52 -0500

Hi Gerrit,
	Not quite there yet...

	I went to '/usr/X11R6/bin'.  There is no file 'libX11.dll.a', but there 
is a 'libX11.dll', so I did 'ln -s libX11.dll libX11.a'.  I closed the 
window, opened a new bash session, and tried compiling.  I got the same 
error (below).

	Did I pick the right directory?  Did I pick the right file?

	Charles

rm -f blib/arch/auto/Tk/Tk.dll
LD_RUN_PATH="" gcc -shared  -s -L/usr/local/lib Tk.o chnGlue.o evtGlue.o 
objGlue.o tixGlue.o tkGlue.o tkGlue_f.o tkWin32Dll.o  -o 
blib/arch/auto/Tk/Tk.dll pTk/libpTk.a 
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/cygwin-multi-64int/CORE/libperl.dll.a
Tk.o(.text+0x1fb0):Tk.c: undefined reference to `_XSynchronize'
Tk.o(.text+0x3314):Tk.c: undefined reference to `_XTranslateCoordinates'
Tk.o(.text+0x373c):Tk.c: undefined reference to `_XTranslateCoordinates'
Tk.o(.text+0x3cf2):Tk.c: undefined reference to `_XSendEvent'
Tk.o(.text+0x3d0f):Tk.c: undefined reference to `_XSync'
Tk.o(.text+0xb9cb):Tk.c: undefined reference to `_XSync'
Tk.o(.text+0xce07):Tk.c: undefined reference to `_XRaiseWindow'
tkGlue.o(.text+0xc0e5):tkGlue.c: undefined reference to `_XSync'
.
.
.
pTk/libpTk.a(tkUnixCursor.o)(.text+0xb99):tkUnixCursor.c: undefined 
reference to `_XFreeCursor'
Info: resolving __ctype_ by linking to __imp___ctype_ (auto-import)
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [blib/arch/auto/Tk/Tk.dll] Error 1

Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> 
>>>>Errors at very bottom of this email.
>>>>[snip]
>>>>rm -f blib/arch/auto/Tk/Tk.dll
>>>>LD_RUN_PATH="" gcc -shared  -s -L/usr/local/lib Tk.o chnGlue.o
>>>>evtGlue.o objGlue.o tixGlue.o tkGlue.o tkGlue_f.o tkWin32Dll.o  -o
>>>>blib/arch/auto/Tk/Tk.dll pTk/libpTk.a
>>>>/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/cygwin-multi-64int/CORE/libperl.dll.a
>>>>Tk.o(.text+0x1f3d):Tk.c: undefined reference to `_XSynchronize'
> 
> 
>>>It's obviously not finding (lib|cyg)X11 (it's not even on the link line).
>>>Do you have XFree86-prog package installed?  XFree86-bin?
>>>XFree86-lib-compat?
> 
> 
> It is this ugly problem: There is a libX11.dll.a whereas MakeMaker looks
> for libX11.a and doesn't see the .dll.a.
> 
> Workaround is to create symlinks (ln -s libX11.dll.a libX11.a) until I
> fixed perl.
> 
> 
> Gerrit

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/