Subject: Re: Domain Users
From: Boris Mayer-St-Onge <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 16:55:18 -0400

>>bash: cannot create temp file for here document: Permission denied
> 
> At a guess, this is because you have TEMP set to some directory that
> domain users cannot access.  You could add a "TEMP=/tmp" at the top of
> /etc/profile, and see if it helps.  Oh, and make sure /tmp on every
> computer is mode 01777, so that it *is* writeable by everyone.

The TEMP variable is set, and is %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp. The 
directory exist and user have write access (but not everyone, I will do 
test with that).

>>Your group is currently "mkpasswd".  This indicates that
>>the /etc/passwd (ans possibly /etc/group) files should be rebuilt.
>>See the man pages for mkpasswd and mkgroup then, for example, run
>>mkpasswd -l [-d] > /etc/passwd
>>mkgroup -l [-d] > /etc/group
>>Note that the -d switch is necessary for domain users.
>>
>>The problem is that we have several hundren of users and some of them
>>are added and deleted each week.  Is there an other solution that adding
>>all the users in the /etc/passwd file?
> 
> Unfortunately, the SID of the user should be in /etc/passwd for the user
> to have full use of Cygwin's services, etc.  One possible solution in your
> situation is to keep one centralized user database on a shared drive and
> mount it as /etc/passwd on each machine (and similarly for groups).  That
> way, when you add and remove users, you will only have to change one file.
> The UIDs for the standard accounts (i.e., Administrator{,s}, SYSTEM, etc)
> are usually pretty standard, at least on NT-based OSs, but I'm not too
> sure about the SIDs, so you might have some problems there...  Also, be
> aware that security attributes on shared drives are controlled by the
> "smbntsec" setting in the CYGWIN environment variable, rather than
> "ntsec".

Thanks for the answer.  I will check what I can do.  Two more questions:

1- From what I understand, this problem occur only since version 1.5.x 
of cygwin.  Is that right?

2- Is it possible to install a older version of cygwin (we have all the 
file of version 1.3.22-1 except the setup.exe).  When we try to install 
cygwin with the setup.exe from the web page and with the files from a 
local directory, we have errors.  Is it possible to have an older 
version of setup.exe?

Boris

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/