Subject: Re: cygpath hangs from postinstall scripts when called like $(cygpath -S) but not otherwise
From: "Cliff Hones" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 17:34:55 +0100

Cliff Hones wrote:
> ...
> I suspect you will see something different.  I guess if on some Windows
> systems shlwapi.dll has a dependence on msvcrt.dll, it is not safe
> to call this from any cygwin app.

I think this may have been introduced with W2k SP4.  I found the following
version of shlwapi.dll on my system:

$ ls -l /d/winnt/servicepackfiles/i386/shlwapi.dll
-rwx------+   1 Administ None       289552 Jun 19 12:05
/d/winnt/servicepackfiles/i386/shlwapi.dll

$ cygcheck /d/winnt/servicepackfiles/i386/shlwapi.dll
D:/winnt/servicepackfiles/i386/shlwapi.dll
  D:/winnt/servicepackfiles/i386\GDI32.DLL
    D:/winnt/servicepackfiles/i386\NTDLL.DLL
    D:/winnt/servicepackfiles/i386\KERNEL32.DLL
    D:/winnt/servicepackfiles/i386\USER32.DLL
  D:/winnt/servicepackfiles/i386\ADVAPI32.DLL
    D:/winnt/servicepackfiles/i386\RPCRT4.DLL

and there is no msvcrt dependence with this earlier version.

Does this fit with the hanging symptoms?  i.e. if your postinstall
hangs, have you installed W2K SP4, or is your shlwapi dependent on
msvcrt, or is this just a red herring?

-- Cliff

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/