Subject: Cygwin_setup.exe comments...
From: "Linda W." <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 11:02:44 -0700

Aome comments/suggestions/GRFE's (Grovelling Request for Enhancements :-)):

1)  Remember a user's previous choices.  (~/.cygwinsetuprc would be 1
    possibility).

1a) allow flags to disable some diaglogs:
       [no|auto]virusprompt                   # default on
       proxy <host>:<port>|useIE|none|direct 
                               # default=direct or none (synonyms)
       [no]rootwarn                          
                               # default on; disables C:\ root usage warning
       server <host>                         
                               # (default none -> bring up list>)
       installtype 
{download_and_install|download-only|install-from-local}  
                                #default to d&s
       cachedir <dirname>       # presence suppresses cache question

    If any items are taken from the .rc file, then display a summary screen
    of choices; pressing "BACK" could go back through normal dialogue, or
    fancier, "Edit/Change" buttons next to each choice

2) Allow window resizing -- *ESPECIALLY* on selection page.  If you don't
    agree, feel free to express your opinion in detail in the following
    response area: :-)
   
    _______
    |     |
    |     |
    -------

That all I can think of off the top of my head -- well, a low importance 
leisure option
would be to send an HTTP request for some 1-byte file to all of the 
servers and
auto select server with lowest response latency....but that's too much 
work for
the benefit right now...(IMO)...

I'd hit the window resize issue first....it's been the longest term 
annoyance. 

Under the "it would be nice", category, being able to click on an item 
and right click on it to
get more information would be real helpful at times.  Some program names 
I don't recognize, and
things like "nasm"...network assembler...what's a network assember vs. 
the gnu-assumber ("gasm"?).
Pros?/Cons?  Just different flavors/strokes for different folks (like 
emacs vs. vim?)

Thanks for reading...please, pretty please, don't just delete this...but 
I hope someone keeps a
list of RFE/GRFE's for setup....:-?

Linda

--

-- Vote NO on the California Recall, BUT....
---> A software Engineer for CA governor? Yes!!! <---
---> GEORGY RUSSELL for CA governor <---
---> http://www.georgyforgov.com <---

-- 
         --->         A software Engineer for CA governer?         <---
         --->            Georgy Russell for CA governor            <---
         --->             http://www.georgyforgov.com              <---

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/