Subject: Re: Using authentication under Apache for Cygwin
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 00:28:41 -0700

Andrew DeFaria wrote:

> Hmmm... As I said it appears to work in the local case. Or are you
> saying I should try to break that by playing with permissions? Are there
> any examples of "smbntsec" issues?
> 
> I mean I suspect that if I do something as small as remove read
> permission for other on .htaccess then the server will not be able to
> read the file thus it would break. But what would that tell me? What
> exactly am I looking for?
> 
> I may play with this as you suggest tomorrow at work. At home I don't
> use SMB for my web site - at least not yet.

As a temporary solution, what happens if you mount the SMB share as a
drive and then use "/cygdrive/x/path" instead of the UNC style
"//machine/share/path"?  If that made it work then it might indicate
that it's the path handling code somewhere (i.e. Apache not liking // as
a valid posix path) versus a permissions problem.

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/