Subject: Re: gcc-3.2: gcc driver doesn't pick up crt0.a from /usr/lib
From: Doru Carastan <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 10:48:15 -0700

This is a followup to my "gcc-3.2: gcc driver doesn't pick up crt0.a 
from /usr/lib" message.

I have found that configure sets GCC_FOR_TARGET to the cross-compiler I 
use in the root Makefile.

GCC_FOR_TARGET = i686-pc-cygwin-gcc

Then gcc/Makefile is using it to create the spec file

specs: xgcc$(exeext)
     $(GCC_FOR_TARGET) -dumpspecs > tmp-specs
     mv tmp-specs specs

and obviously the spec file defines:

*cross_compile:
1

which makes gcc drop /lib and /usr/lib from the 'libraries:' search path.

IMO this is wrong considering that the configure line was:

"$r/src/$gcc/configure" --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu \
   --host=i686-pc-cygwin --target=i686-pc-cygwin \
   --prefix=/usr --includedir=/nonexistent/include \
   --enable-languages=c,c++ \
   --enable-threads=posix \
   --with-system-zlib \
   --enable-nls \
   --without-included-gettext \
   --disable-version-specific-runtime-libs \
   --enable-shared \
   --enable-haifa \
   --enable-interpreter

Can someone shed some light here? Why GCC_FOR_TARGET is not left as 
defined in the gcc/Makefile?

GCC_FOR_TARGET = ./xgcc -B./ -B$(build_tooldir)/bin/ -isystem 
$(build_tooldir)/include -isystem $(build_tooldir)/sys-include

TIA,

-- 
Doru Carastan

*\\\///* WinHost Contractor
||\\//|| 408-992-4497
|||\/||| [email-masked]

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/